Trouble with Squirrels?
Ark provide pest control solutions to squirrel infestations in London, the South East, the North West, the North and the Midlands.
- Head and body length: 25-26.5cm.
- Weight (adult): about 500gm.-
- Tail length: around 22cm
- Grey fur with large bushy tails
- Squirrels breed around February/March and occasionally again in June/July
They can have 1 – 3 litters a year and around 1 – 7 young per litter.
- The gestation periods last around 45 days, weaned after 8 – 10 weeks.
- Capable of breeding at around 7 months but on average this takes place at around 10 – 12 months.
- In the wild less than 1% lives for more than 6 years but have they have been known to live to 8 or 9 years.
Habits & Behaviour:
- Squirrels are commonly found in deciduous and mixed woodlands, they are also found in hedgerows, banking, gardens, trees and farms.
- Dreys (nests) are compact and sphere-shaped. 30-60cm in diameter and surrounded by twigs, dry leaves and grass inside.
- Squirrels feed on acorns, tree shoots, flowers, nuts, fruits, roots and cereals. Food is eaten at ground level.
- Their range covers 2-10 hectares and they bury spare food 2-5cm below the soil or in tree hollows.
- They are diurnal, active before sunrise and after sunset.
- The peak of activity is in the autumn.
- Squirrels can nest in lofts, wall cavities, and the void in-between false walls.
- By gnawing they can damage tree bark and the fabric of buildings.
- Grey squirrels are widespread and not protected in the UK.
Get in touch today: